Skip to content


Dunham & Chemung Mutual Insurance

How do I file a claim?

In the event of a loss

  • Report your claim to your insurance agent as soon as possible. Please be ready to provide your policy number, the date and the time the loss occurred, the type of loss, and a description of the loss, along with a phone number where you can be reached.
  • For after hour claim emergencies, please contact Illinois Claim Services at 866-223-9511
  • Take any steps necessary to protect your property from further damage, including temporary repairs. Take pictures of the damage before making any repairs.
  • Keep a list of any temporary repair expenses.

Do I need to file a police report?

In the event of property theft, vandalism or an accident, we recommended that you file a police report.

Do I have coverage to replace a tree that was blown over in a windstorm?

If a tree falls on your home due to wind, we will pay to have the tree removed from the dwelling, to the ground, so your home can be repaired. Your policy does not provide coverage to replace trees damaged by wind in a storm.

What’s the difference between market value, replacement cost and actual cash value?

"Replacement cost" is the amount needed to repair the damage, rebuild the home to its pre-loss condition and replace any lost, stolen or damaged items with new items. For insurance purposes, the replacement cost of a home is NOT the market value of the home, its purchase price or the outstanding amount of any mortgage loan. Actual Cash Value only covers the depreciated value of an item at the time it was lost, stolen, or damaged. The depreciated value is determined by the wear and tear on the item and the item’s age.

What is a deductible?

The deductible is the amount you pay out of pocket to cover your loss before the insurance company will pay any loss expenses. The deductible will be applied each time you have a claim on your policy.